Published: 09:24, 25 November 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A blaze broke out at a house in Ashford last night after cigarettes were left unattended.
Two engines and around 10 firefighters were called to the property in St Stephen’s Walk at 10.30pm and spent 30 minutes tackling the fire. The home needed ventilating and suffered damage to the paintwork.
Watch manager Timothy Handey said: “The property was not fitted with smoke alarms, and although there wasn’t a great deal of damage this time, the fire would have been detected a lot earlier if smoke alarms had been in use.
“We would just like to reiterate to everyone the importance of smoke alarms.”
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.