Published: 18:19, 02 December 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A good neighbour prevented a potentially serious fire last night after hearing a smoke alarm set off by a frying pan left on a hot hob.
Fire crews were called to a third floor flat in Victoria Park, Dover, at 10.13pm.
The neighbour heard the smoke alarm beeping from the flat below, banged on the door and woke one of the occupants.
It is believed his flatmate left the pan on the electric hob, forgetting to turn the heat off before going out.
Dover Watch Manager, Andy Hollands, said: “When we arrived just minutes later, the flat was already full of smoke.
“The neighbour had banged on the door, managing to wake one of the flat’s occupants, who immediately switched off the cooker and removed the frying pan from the heat, immersing it in water.”
Crews checked to make sure the fire was completely out before ventilating the flat, which was severely smoke damaged.
Mr Hollands added: “This incident highlights the importance of taking extra care in the kitchen and having working smoke alarms on every floor of your home.
"Without them and the neighbour’s actions, the fire could have burnt undetected for longer, putting the resident and the property at further risk.”
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.