Home   Kent   News   Article

Thug locked up after potato peeler attack at station

A teenage thug has today been locked up for repeatedly stabbing a train passenger in the back... with a potato peeler.

Perry Morris, from Broadstairs (pictured), penetrated both the lungs of his 20-year-old victim in the vicious attack at Westgate-on-Sea station.

Now the 19-year-old has been sent to a young offenders’ institution for three years after admitting causing grievous bodily harm.

Canterbury Crown Court heard he and friends Danny Gray, 17, and 18-year-old Jacey Daly targeted the victim on a platform.

The victim had stopped to chat to a friend who was with the trio when a row broke out at about 4.30pm on June 27, 2011.

Gray punched the victim to the ground because he thought Morris was going to be attacked.

As the victim got up, he was set upon by all three teenagers.

In the scuffle, Morris stabbed him with the potato peeler - but the victim did not realise he was bleeding until they had left.

He spent nine days in Margate’s QEQM Hospital for three wounds that punctured both lungs.

The victim’s mother Christine Dawson said her son and family have struggled to deal with the last 18 months.

Potato peelerShe said: "We’re relieved that this has now been dealt with by the courts because it will allow us to try and move on together as a family and put this behind us."

Judge Adele Williams said: "You had all been drinking. Morris started the argument, Gray knocked the victim to the ground, there was a struggle and then Daly struck him on the head.

"Morris then stabbed him in the back three times with a potato peeler. These were serious injuries and he was taken to hospital where it was discovered both his lungs had collapsed."

She said Morris claimed he did not know why he had the potato peeler, claiming it must have belonged to a friend.

The judge added Gray and Daly were unaware Morris had been carrying a weapon - and both showed remorse.

Morris, of Prince Andrew Road, was told he will serve half his sentence before being released with supervision.

Gray, of Gordon Road, Broadstairs, was given a two-year youth rehabilitation order and told to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work.

Daly, of Orgarswick Avenue, Dymchurch, was also given a two-year youth rehabilitation order. Both Gray and Daly admitted causing actual bodily harm.

All three defendants changed their pleas to guilty at the start of their trial in July.

DC Steve Best, from British Transport Police, said: "If you choose to carry a weapon and use it, it will not be tolerated by the police service, community, or the courts."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More