Published: 13:34, 23 November 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
by Thom Morris
An unlikely series of events led to a blaze that destroyed half a kitchen.
A vacuum cleaner toppled over in a kitchen at a home in Eagles Road, Greenhithe.
It fell onto the switch of an electric oven - which turned on and began heating up.
The homeowners, who were out at the time, returned to find their house filled with smoke, at just before 3.30pm yesterday.
Two fire crews quickly got the flames under control before cutting away parts of the kitchen cupboards to check if the fire had spread.
Dartford fire station watch manager Dave Boakes said: "The fire had been smouldering for some time before we were alerted. The heat had cracked window panes and melted the cupboard fronts. The whole property was filled with thick black smoke.
"This highlights how easily a fire can break out. My advice to residents is to ensure cookers and other appliances are always switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.
"It is essential that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home as they provide an early warning of fire."
The fire also caused heavy smoke damage throughout the house.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
Your No1 guide to getting married in Kent. From dresses to discos and venues to veils, we've got everything you could possibly need for your big day
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
We have four editions of our Kent Homes, Gardens and Interiors magazine for you to read. Click here to view them all.