Mostly clear


28°C | 16°C



34°C | 16°C

Light rain


25°C | 14°C

Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Welling United 3 Woking 0

18 January 2014
by Matthew Panting

Joe Healy celebrates his opener on Saturday Picture David Brown

Joe Healy celebrates his opener on Saturday Picture: David Brown

Welling bounced back from their midweek humiliation to bottom club Hyde with a convincing home win over 10-man Woking on Saturday in Skrill Premier.

Manager Jamie Day made three changes from the team that lost 2-0 to Hyde, bringing in midfielder Josh Wakefield on loan from Bournemouth and Lee Clarke and Ross Lafayette both returned after injury.

It certainly made a difference as the hosts were first to every ball, strong in every challenge and inventive in attack when given the chance. Woking, however, failed to hit the heights of their recent upturn in form that had seen them close to within three points of the Wings prior to kick-off.

Woking's best chance of the game came on 21 minutes when it needed a timely Harry Beautyman tackle to deny Kevin Betsy a clear sight of goal after good work by Giuseppe Sole.

After that, it was all Welling. Clarke's shot lacked power, as did Joe Healy minutes later, while there was nothing wrong with the force of Beautyman's right-foot drive on 38 minutes but his shot came back off the crossbar after excellent approach work by Lafayette.

Josh Wakefield on his Welling debut Picture David Brown

Josh Wakefield on his Welling debut Picture: David Brown

Kurtis Guthrie called Woking keeper Sam Beasant into action just before half-time when he let fly from at least 30 yards, Beasant was at full stretch to brilliantly turn the ball behind for a corner which Blaine Hudson then headed wide.

Woking were reduced to 10 men in stoppage time when midfielder Kieran Murtagh collected a second yellow card for a late foul on Wakefield, who grew into the game as it wore on.

Welling continued to pile on the pressure after the break. Doug Bergqvist's header was juggled over via the crossbar by Beasant, who then did well to keep out a long-range Beautyman effort.

The decisive first goal finally arrived on 62 minutes. Baily Cargill, playing the last home game of his loan spell from Bournemouth, raced down the left-wing to deliver a stunning first time cross that Healy gratefully tucked away with Beasant beaten.

It was 2-0 with 15 minutes left when Mike Cestor's needless foul on Guthrie handed Welling a penalty. Lafayette's spot-kick was parried by Beasant but Healy reacted first to fire the loose ball home.

Welling wrapped up the points seven minutes from time when Clarke's first-time finish from a weak clearance found the bottom corner.

The Wings, who have now moved onto 38 points, travel to Gateshead on Tuesday before hosting Alfreton next Saturday.

Click here for more sport from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.