Moderate showers


17°C | 8°C

Light rain


13°C | 6°C

Light rain


14°C | 8°C

Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Margate and Chatham Town lose but there are wins for Hythe Town, Folkestone Invicta and Maidstone United

11 December 2013

Hythe's Shaun Welford Picture Gary Browne

Hythe's Shaun Welford Picture: Gary Browne


Managerless Margate suffered a home defeat in the Ryman League, Premier Division on Tuesday night.

Two second half goals were enough for visitors Billericay Town to take maximum points at Hartsdown Park, with a 2-1 win.

Those goals overturned a 1-0 half-time deficit as Phil Walsh had scored for Gate just before the break.

Billericay’s goalscorers were Callum Webb and Josh Ekim, with the winning goal coming 11 minutes from time.

Shaun Welford continued his prolific spell for Hythe Town, with two goals helping them to a 3-2 win at Chipstead.

Welford has now scored 10 in the last 10 games for the Ryman League, Division 1 South team.

Dave Cook was also on target for Hythe, in a game which ended in thick fog, leaving many spectators and players unable to see the action.

Victory ended a run of three straight defeats, in all competitions, for Hythe.

Folkestone's Johan Ter Horst  Picture Fiona Stapley-Harding

Folkestone's Johan Ter Horst Picture: Fiona Stapley-Harding

Folkestone Invicta also tasted victory, beating Three Bridges 4-2 at Cheriton Road.

Johan Ter Horst had given Invicta a third minute lead and Frankie Chappell doubled the advantage midway through the half.

Horst claimed his second shortly after the restart before Bridges pulled one back after the hour mark.

Matt Newman settled the match with Invicta’s fourth, meaning Bridge’s second was nothing but a consolation goal.

In Ryman League, Division 1 North, Chatham Town suffered a 2-1 defeat at Waltham Abbey.

Abbey were ahead through Loren Maxwell, on 30 minutes, but Chatham were on level terms in the second half with a goal from Alfie May.

Hopes of taking a point from the game were dashed as Maxwell netted his second with four minutes left.

Elsewhere in the division, Erith & Belvedere were beaten 2-0 at home to Cheshunt. The AFC Sudbury versus VCD match was postponed due to fog.

In the Robert Dyas League Cup, Maidstone United beat Hastings United 2-0.

Liam King put the Stone 1-0 up after six minutes at the Gallagher Stadium and Zac Attwood converted a second half penalty to secure the cup victory.

Click here for more sport from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Login or register to post commentsPost Comment

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.