Broken cloud


23°C | 13°C

Sunny spells


20°C | 10°C

Mostly sunny


21°C | 10°C

Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Ryman League round-up

10 March 2014
by Steve Tervet

Folkestone and Faversham get physical Picture Gary Browne

Folkestone and Faversham get physical Picture: Gary Browne

It was a bad weekend for Kent clubs in the Ryman League Premier Division.

Maidstone United suffered a third straight defeat on the road, this time 1-0 at Leiston, for whom Gareth Heath scored from the penalty spot.

That result leaves the Stones third, three points behind leaders Dulwich Hamlet and having played five games more than second-placed Wealdstone.

There was a third defeat in four games for Margate, who lost 2-1 to Kingstonian at Hartsdown Park.

Sam Rents put Terry Brown's side in front but the Ks left Thanet with all three points despite having goal scorer Andre McCollin sent off in the closing stages.

Thamesmead Town slipped deeper into relegation trouble when they lost 2-0 at home to AFC Hornchurch.

Although Mead are just one point from safety, they've played seven games more than the side immediately above them, East Thurrock United.

And it's only a matter of time before bottom side Cray Wanderers tumble through the trap-door after they crashed 4-0 at home to Lowestoft Town. They've now conceded 110 league goals this season - with 12 games still to play - and are 13 points from safety.

Folkestone Invicta took a big step towards the Division 1 South play-offs with a 2-1 win at home to Kent rivals Faversham Town.

Prolific strike partners Paul Booth and Johan Ter Horst had Folkestone 2-0 up inside 15 minutes but Luke Harvey pulled one back for Faversham on 41 minutes.

However, they couldn't stop Invicta recording a fifth straight home win and extending their unbeaten run at the Fullicks Stadium to 17 matches.

Faversham remain sixth but they're now seven points outside the play-off places and running out of time to break into the top-five.

There was another Kent derby at Woodstock Park, where Sittingbourne beat Ramsgate 3-1.

Goals from Joe Taylor and Ryan Golding (2) fired the Brickies into a 3-0 half-time lead, before Ian Pulman netted for the Rams on 62 minutes.

Hythe Town manager Scott Porter returned from a two-game stadium ban to watch his side win 4-0 at second-bottom Corinthian Casuals. James Morrish and Shaun Welford both scored twice.

It was a disappointing day for Herne Bay, who lost 2-0 at home to Walton Casuals.

Their local rivals Whitstable Town are just three points behind them now after winning 3-1 at Worthing. Steve Hafner, Joe Kane and Scott Heard were on target for Nicky Southall's side.

Chatham Town recorded their third straight win in Division 1 North, 2-0 away to AFC Sudbury, thanks to goals from Ade Yussuff and Kieran McCann.

Leaders VCD Athletic maintained their six-point advantage with a 1-0 win at Brentwood, Alfie May scoring the only goal.

But it was a nightmare afternoon for struggling Erith & Belvedere, who were thrashed 6-2 at home by relegation rivals Ware. Felix Ogeah-Andrews and Mo Conteh netted for the Deres but they're now only two points above second-bottom Ware, having played seven games more.

Click here for more sport from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.