Clear spells


14°C | 6°C

Sunny spells


16°C | 10°C

Light rain


16°C | 8°C

Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Ryman League round-up

17 March 2014
by Steve Tervet

Dramatic scenes as Dan Parkinson scores Maidstone's winner Picture Martin Apps

Dramatic scenes as Dan Parkinson scores the winner for Maidstone United

There was an incredible finish at the Gallagher Stadium on Saturday when Maidstone United scored deep in stoppage-time to clinch a 4-3 win over Dulwich Hamlet.

Kick-off had been delayed by 15 minutes to allow 2,296 supporters to cram into the ground - and they were treated to an unbelievable game.

Dulwich led twice through Nyren Clunis and former Stone Tommy Whitnell but the home side responded through Alex Flisher and Jack Harris, who scored twice on his return from a loan spell at Faversham Town.

Crystal Palace target Erhun Oztumer got Hamlet back on level terms at 3-3 but the injury-ravaged Stones sent the home crowd wild when Dan Parkinson netted a 94th-minute winner.

That win moved them up to second in the Ryman League Premier Division, above Dulwich.

Two goals from Jefferson Louis, one from the penalty spot, fired Margate to a 2-0 win at Billericay Town although Terry Brown's side remain 17th.

Relegation moved a step closer for two other Kent clubs, however, with Cray Wanderers losing 2-0 at Hendon and Thamesmead Town beaten 1-0 at home by Harrow Borough.

Chatham Town made it five straight wins in Division 1 North as two Ade Yussuff penalties gave the Chats a 2-0 victory over Burnham Ramblers at Maidstone Road.

The title race has opened up after leaders VCD Athletic crashed to a 3-0 defeat at Heybridge Swifts. They're eight points clear but second-placed Witham Town, who beat Erith & Belvedere 3-2 on Saturday, have three games in hand.

Goals from Marcus Cassius and Felix Ogeah-Andrews had the Deres 2-1 up in their game but Cassius was sent-off late in the first half and they couldn't hold on.

Folkestone Invicta remain fourth in Division 1 South and well on course for the play-offs after they were held to a 0-0 draw at Tooting & Mitcham.

The only other Kent club in the division with realistic promotion hopes are Faversham Town, who beat bottom side Eastbourne Town 3-1 at Salters Lane.

Luke Harvey put the Lilywhites in front but the game was poised at 1-1 with five minutes left until Darren Marsden and Renford Tenyue struck late for Ray Turner's side.

There were four different scorers for Ramsgate in their 4-2 win over Crawley Down. The Rams trailed 2-0 late in the first half but goals from James Sherman, Ian Pulman, Ollie Gray and Tom Chapman turned the game on its head.

Hythe Town have pulled themselves clear of relegation trouble recently and they won 4-2 at home to Worthing on Saturday. Shaun Welford, Craig Thompson (2) and James Morrish scored their goals.

Two goals in the last two minutes earned Herne Bay a 2-1 win at Redhill. The visitors trailed 1-0 but Jamie O'Connell equalised on 89 minutes and Danny Walder then converted a 90th-minute penalty.

That win lifted Bay above Sittingbourne, who lost 3-1 at Horsham. Luke Girt scored the only Brickies goal.

Whitstable Town moved nine points clear of the relegation with a 3-2 win over Walton & hersham. Goals from Jake Mackenzie and Matt Martin (2) sealed victory for the Oystermen.

Click here for more sport from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.