14°C | 4°C

Clear spells


18°C | 5°C

Clear spells


12°C | 4°C

Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Ryman League round-up

09 December 2013
by Steve Tervet

Maidstone find themselves crowded out by Bury Town (Pic Gary Browne)

Maidstone find themselves crowded out by Bury Town

Maidstone United missed the chance to go second in the Ryman League Premier Division on Saturday when they dropped two points at home to Bury Town.

Frannie Collin's 58th-minute strike put the Stones in front but Jordan Patrick scored 11 minutes from time to earn the Suffolk visitors a 1-1 draw.

That result leaves Maidstone fourth, five points behind leaders AFC Hornchurch with three games in hand.

Margate dropped to 11th after they made the long trip home from Bognor Regis on the wrong end of a 5-3 scoreline.

The visitors led 1-0 at half-time thanks to a Warren Whitely strike but the Rocks took control after the break and two goals from Phil Walsh couldn't drag the Gate back into the game.

Goals from Jay Porter and Junior Baker were ultimately in vain as struggling Thamesmead Town went down 4-2 at home to Leiston.

Keith McMahon's side are now five points from safety and they have played more games than all the sides around them.

Cray Wanderers, still rooted to the foot of the table, are three points below Mead after they crashed to a 4-0 defeat at Kingstonian.

It was a bad day for Kent clubs in Division 1 South.

Hythe Town lost 3-2 at home to basement boys Eastbourne Town, with Shaun Welford and Lee Winfield scoring for Scott Porter's side.

At the Belmont, Whitstable Town's seven-match winning run came to an end when they were beaten 3-1 by high-flying Peacehaven & Telscombe.

The Oystermen had Craig Thompson sent off before Joe Kane netted a consolation. Whitstable now prepare for their FA Trophy clash with Ebbsfleet on Saturday.

Faversham Town were the county's only victors, their 2-1 win at home to Crawley Down lifting them into the play-off places. Dave Botterill and Luke Harvey scored for the Lilywhites.

Paul Booth scored a first-half hat-trick for Folkestone Invicta but he ended up on the losing side as Chipstead came from behind to win 4-3.

Herne Bay lost 1-0 at Leatherhead and Ramsgate, despite a Tom Chapman strike, went down 2-1 at home to Burgess Hill Town.

Meanwhile, air traffic control problems at Gatwick Airport meant Sittingbourne's trip to Guernsey had to be postponed.

Chatham Town recorded their first home win in Division 1 North since August when they saw off Redbridge 4-1 at Maidstone Road.

Alfie May scored twice for the Chats, for whom Ade Yussuff and Brad Potter were also on target.

A 4-1 defeat at Witham Town means leaders VCD Athletic have had their advantage cut to four points. James Duckworth scored the Vickers' only goal.

Erith & Belvedere are just two points above the drop zone after they were beaten 4-1 at Maldon & Tiptree, with Jamie Lawrence converting a late penalty for the visitors.

Click here for more sport from Kent.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Login or register to post commentsPost Comment

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.