Crews attend chimney fires
Crews were called to two chimney fires in Maidstone last
The first took place at a house in Dean Street, East Farleigh at
One pump from Maidstone attended and the incident was dealt with by
There was no damage to the property.
The second blaze happened in Plantation Lane, Bearsted at about
A Maidstone crew was called and it was extinguished by 8.55pm
without damage being caused.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service has issued the following chimney fire
safety advice on its website:
.Have your chimney swept at least once a year – more frequently if
you burn wood
.Make sure the appliance receives enough air to allow the fuel to
.Only burn suitable fuels
.Do not overload the grate/appliance
.Maintain your appliance in accordance with the manufacturer’s
.Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires
.Inspect your chimney breast, particularly the roof space.
Make sure that it is sound and that the sparks or fumes cannot
escape through cracks or broken bricks.
.Avoid storing items in the roof space close to your chimney
.Consider having a carbon monoxide detector fitted as an additional
safeguard against the build up of poisonous fumes.
- Click here for more Maidstone news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...