Crews called to house fire
A woman in her 90s was rescued from a bungalow
fire last night after an electric blanket caught alight.
Two pumps arrived in Shaftesbury Drive, off Queens Road, at
The elderly homeowner, thought to be in her late
90s, had alerted a neighbour who called the emergency
The neighbour was not aware that while she made the call, the
woman had returned to her home.
Firefighters wore breathing apparatus to go into the smoke
filled property and managed to lead the pensioner to
No major damage has been reported and it's not thought
the woman suffered any injuries.
Maidstone watch manager, Roy Ingram,
said: “The house was full of smoke when we arrived but thankfully
this lady had a lucky escape.
"Just three breaths of smoke can knock you
unconscious, with potentially fatal consequences.
“If you discover a fire in your home, close
the door on it as this will limit the damage.
"Get out of your home and call the fire
service out. Never go back into your home it’s not worth getting
hurt or risking your life.”
Crews used a hose reel to tackle the
blaze and positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the
Pumps left the scene at 9.40pm.
- Click here for more Maidstone news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...