Dogs' fire alert
by Angela Cole
The barking of two jack russells alerted a woman to the
fact that her dishwasher was on fire.
The blaze broke out in Bowin Road, Tunbridge Wells, at just
before 11pm last night (Wednesday).
After hearing her pets bark, the woman found it was alight and
initially put wet tea towels over it, but soon realised it was out
of control and got herself and her two grown-up children out of the
Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus in five minutes.
Watch manager Stephen Inglis said: "Luckily no-one was hurt and
the fire was
contained to the dishwasher. But my advice to homeowners is
never try to tackle a fire yourself, get out and call the fire
"Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets
with very little warning. Make sure you have working smoke alarms
on every floor of your home and never operate dishwashers, tumble
dryers or washing machines while out of the property or
- Click here for more Maidstone news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...