Dog saved by neighbours
by Peter Walker
A pet dog was snatched from a fire by a quick-thinking neighbour
at Wrotham this morning.
Neighbours heard the fire alarm sound at the mid-terrace
property on Thorndyke Way before discovering that the kitchen was
full of smoke at about 9am.
After breaking down the back door of the house, which was empty
except for the dog, they took the pet home to safety.
The dog, whose breed is unknown, is now fit and well.
Firefighters believe the blaze started after a hob was
left switched on, allowing a tea towel to catch fire.
From 9.26am, and in just a couple of minutes, it took about 10 crew
members to extinguish the fire after the neighbour called
Larkfield fire station watch manager, Mitchell Kelly, said:
“Fortunately, this was a minor incident but fires can spread very
quickly. As we’ve seen today, working smoke alarms are the best
early warning system you can have if you are unlucky enough to have
a fire in your home.”
“Obviously, our advice would always be never go into a building
that has a fire, leave that to the fire service. But, on this
occasion, we do acknowledge the brave actions of the
The fire caused only minor damage to the kitchen worktop, while
the rest of the house was smoke damaged.
Mitchell added: “The safest option is to make sure cookers and
other appliances are always fully switched off after use and never
store items around ovens and hobs.”
- Click here for more Maidstone news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...