Dog dies and boy injured in fire in Back Lane, Horsmonden
A 17-year-old boy has been treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns after trying in vain to save his dog from a kitchen fire.
Firefighters were called to a house in Back Lane, Horsmonden at 4.45pm on Saturday after the boy discovered the fire and raised the alarm.
The blaze started after some clothes in a plastic washing basket, left on top of the hob, caught alight. It is thought the controls were knocked.
Marden Crew Manager Andy Wardley said: “Smoke alarms sounded and the boy discovered the fire; he tried to rescue the dog but unfortunately couldn’t and he suffered smoke inhalation and minor burns in the process. Sadly the dog inhaled too much smoke and died.”
Two fire engines were sent to the scene and put out the small fire. They say the incident is a reminder to residents to not leave items on top of or near cookers and hobs.
For free fire safety advice contact Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000 or visit www.3breaths.info.
- Click here for more Maidstone news
- Click here for more news from across the county