Fire crews rescue pair from roof of blazing house in Loose Road in Maidstone
A man has been taken to hospital after two people were rescued from a fire believed to have been caused by unattended candles last night.
He suffered smoke inhalation after around 10 firefighters tackled flames at the property, in Loose Road, Maidstone, at around 8pm.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service said two crews were called to the detached property after a blaze broke out.
Firefighters tackled a house fire in Loose Road, Maidstone
It is believed a couple in a first-floor flat had left two tealights burning on top of a plastic stereo - before going out.
Firefighters arrived to find flames pouring out of the bay window up into the soffits and facia.
They were breathing apparatus to tackle the fire using a hose reel, main jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
Crews also used a ladder to rescue two people from a flat roof.
Crews rescued two people amid a blaze at this house
Maidstone fire station watch manager Roy Ingram said: "It appears the couple from the first floor flat had left two tea lights burning on top of a plastic stereo.
"They thought they had blown them out fully before leaving their home. The candles melted through the top and caught alight.
"Fortunately, the property had working smoke alarms which alerted other residents to the blaze.
"However, they were unaware the couple were not in the property and concerned for their safety, opened the flat door, allowing the fire to take hold quickly and cause considerable heat and smoke damage to the other flats within the property."
People gather at the scene of a house fire in Maidstone
He said fire crews worked hard to prevent the fire spreading into the roof and gave oxygen therapy to one of the residents before he was taken to hospital by ambulance crews.
Mr Ingram added: "In the event of fire in your home its always best to get out, closing the doors behind you as you leave but this is a clear reminder of the dangers of leaving lit candles unattended and how quickly they can cause a major fire."
It took crews around two hours to deal with the fire, which Kent Police said it is not being treated as suspicious.
Stories you might have missed
- Click here for more Maidstone news
- Click here for more news from across the county