Fire caused by candle in Grigg Lane, Headcorn
Firefighters rushed to a Headcorn home yesterday after unattended candles started a fire.
The blaze started in a house in Grigg Lane at 5pm after candles that had been left burning unattended in a lounge caught surrounding furnishings alight.
The fire was extinguished with hoses and smoke was removed with a ventilation fan.
Maidstone Watch Manager, Howard Dellow, attended the incident.
He said: “The occupier was using candles to light her living room and unfortunately one had fallen onto soft furnishings while she was upstairs.
"Thankfully the smoke alarm alerted her to what was going on and she was able to get out of her home safely before our arrival.
“Candles and tea lights are often used as decorations this time of year but it’s important to remember they should be held securely in containers and extinguished before you leave the room.
“I would also encourage everyone to fit and maintain a smoke alarm on every floor of your home to help keep your friends and family safe from fire this Christmas."
For more safety advice call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info.
- Click here for more Maidstone news
- Click here for more news from across the county