Firefighters say a fire in a garage in Bearsted may have been caused by a combination of the sun and a magnifying glass
Firefighters were in attendance
There may not have been a lot of sun around recently, but the sun's rays have been blamed for starting a fire in Bearsted yesterday (Thursday).
Fire crews were called to Mount Lane at just after 2pm after neighbours saw smoke coming from a garage.
Inside, they found a magnifying glass inside had focussed the rays onto a hand towel, which had then caught light.
Maidstone watch manager, Howard Dellow, said: “The garage was being used as an improvised art studio and sunrays focused onto the towel from a hands-free magnifying glass caused it to catch alight.
“Thankfully we were called before the fire was able to spread, possibly causing extensive damage to the garage and adjacent bungalows.
“Although sunshine has been in short supply this winter, the low-lying sun can be magnified onto flammable items in your home, so be careful when positioning a magnifying glass, mirror, or any other glass object capable of focusing the suns rays.”
- Click here for more Maidstone news
- Click here for more news from across the county