Maidstone United manager Jay Saunders says ex-defender Nathan Paul will not return to the club to ease defensive shortage
Former Maidstone defender Nathan Paul. Picture: Gary Browne
Former crowd favourite Nathan Paul won’t be returning to Maidstone.
Boss Jay Saunders is looking for a new right-back with Richard Davies ruled out for the season with a cruciate ligament injury.
Fans have been speculating over a possible return for Beckenham defender Paul, who helped Stones win back-to-back Kent League and Ryman League, Division 1 South titles.
Saunders knows Paul well from their time together at Maidstone but has ruled out a move.
He said: “I have spoken to Nathan but more as a mate, so I can’t see anything happening there. I’m looking at other options because we need some help for Jack Sullivan now Richard is out for the season."
Saunders has also ruled out a return for Jon Harley. The former Chelsea defender spent the end of last season with his hometown club and there will be an opening at left-back next weekend with Tom Mills suspended.
Saunders said: “It’s one of those situations where Jon can’t commit to training. He couldn’t last year, either, but it’s awkward if you’re leaving someone out to play for someone who hasn’t been training.”
Stones are at full strength for their FA Trophy first qualifying round game at Maldon & Tiptree on Saturday.
- Click here for more Maidstone news
- Click here for more news from across the county