Elderly woman taken to hospital after chip pan fire in Kingsnorth
79-year-old woman was taken to hospital when a fire broke out at
her home last night.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service sent two
fire engines to the house in The Haven, Kingsnorth, near Ashford,
at 6.44pm after reports of a chip pan fire.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus
quickly extinguished the blaze with a hose reel before clearing the
property of smoke.
The woman was taken to hospital by
ambulance for precautionary checks.
The fire caused a small amount of fire
damage to the kitchen, but the whole house suffered heavy smoke
Ashford watch manager Mark Thomas
said: "The woman had cooked chips for dinner the previous evening,
turning the cooker off at the wall but had unfortunately forgotten
to turn the electric ring off.
"When she switched the oven on to warm
her evening meal, she didn't realise the heat was on under her chip
pan and in no time at all it had caught light.
"She was extremely lucky to have been
alerted given that the battery was missing from the smoke alarm in
her home, but she did the right thing by getting out of her home
and phoning the fire service.
"The single most important life-saving
device in your home is a working smoke alarm; they provide the
early warning needed.
"Your neighbours, friends and
loved-ones may need your help to protect themselves from the
outbreak of fire and could benefit from safety advice."
Phone KFRS free from a landline on
0800 9237000 or go to www.3breaths.info for more advice.
- Click here for more Ashford news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...