Smoke alarm reminder after woman's lucky escape from fire
A young woman had a lucky escape,
after the ground floor of her house caught fire.
Firefighters were called to the
scene in Repton Manor Road, Ashford, at around 8.25pm last night
Two pumps - one from Ashford
and another from Aldington - attended the location at
a semi-detached house.
Around nine crew members using
breathing apparatus and a positive pressure pump - a type
of giant fan used to clear smoke - worked for around one and a
half hours to bring the blaze under control.
Although no smoke alarms were
fitted, fortunately the sole inhabitant of the house - a young
woman - escaped unharmed.
The property itself is understood
to have sustained significant damage.
Tim Hanley, crew
manager of Ashford's Green Watch, is calling on people to have
smoke alarms fitted.
He added: "Given the time of the
incident, the young woman was awake and alert and smelled the
smoke, but had it have happened later in the evening, she might not
have been so fortunate.
"We would like to repeat our calls
to people to have smoke alarms fitted, particularly in the run up
to Christmas, and also to test them regularly."
- Click here for more Ashford news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...