Family saved from High Halden fire by quick-thinking neighbours
Neighbours inspect the
damage at the property
A family from High Halden
had a lucky escape, after a wood-burning stove set fire to their
Kent Fire and Rescue
Service (KFRS) were called to deal with the blaze, which had broken
out at a home in Ashford Road this morning.
A woman and her son, who
were sleeping in the bungalow, remained unaware of what was
happening until quick-thinking neighbours saw the smoke, rang 999
and woke the pair - who were able to get out of the house.
Heat from the
wood-burner's flue appears to have set fire to wooden shingles near
to its vent, with the fire spreading to the roof of the bungalow.
Smoke alarms had been
taken down as the property was being decorated.
"This was a very lucky escape for the family"– crew manager Jason Hills
Jason Hills, crew manager from Ashford fire station, said:
"This was a very lucky escape for the family thanks to the
quick action of their neighbours.
"We would advise anyone using an open fire or a wood burning
stove to treat them with caution and take note of our safety
and maintenance tips.
“It is also a reminder to
everyone that taking a smoke alarm down even for a short period is
never a good idea.
“Fire can happen at any
time, and alarms are vital for your protection."
Crews manning three appliances arrived shortly after 8am, and put
out the fire using breathing apparatus, compressed air foam and
The roof of the timber frame bungalow was severely damaged by the
fire and though the ground floor did not suffer from the fire there
was extensive water and smoke damage.
For more advice on using wood burning stoves, click here.
- Click here for more Ashford news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...