Man hurt by hot chip pan in Nine Acres, Kennington
A man suffered burns to his left hand after he attempted to
removed a chip pan which was full of hot oil from the top of the a
Fire crews were sent to the home in Nice Acres, Kennington, at
around 11.20pm on Wednesday night to reports that a chip
pan had been left unattended. While the pan didn’t catch light, it
caused a considerable amount of smoke.
As well as burns to his lift hand, the man, and a second
resident, suffered from smoke inhalation.
Head of Community Safety, Stuart Skilton, said: “Unattended pans
and a build up of fat and food residue on cooking appliances are
common causes of fires that can have serious consequences. If you
leave the kitchen, turn the heat off, fire starts when your
A second kitchen fire occurred in Norton Crescent, Tonbridge,
after the grill caught light.
Crews were called to the property at about 5.45pm but luckily no
one was hurt. However, 20% of the kitchen was damaged by fire while
the rest of the house had light smoke damage.
Mr Skilton added: “Just three breaths of fire smoke can be
fatal, so it’s vital that everyone has working smoke alarms in
their homes. We offer free safety advice and services to everyone
but there’s a lot you can do to keep yourself safe.”
Kent Fire and Rescue are asking residents to remember:
Watch what you heat and don’t leave cooking
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil.
If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the
heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat
and grease can easily catch fire
If you are going out for a night out and may be
drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack
from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a
Prevent children accidently turning on electric cookers
by switching them off at the main after use
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test
the batteries weekly
If there is a fire, don’t take risks by tackling it
yourself. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue
For further advice on fire safety visit www.3breaths.info or contact the
KFRS community safety team on 0800 923 7000.
- Click here for more Ashford news...
- Click here for more news from across the county...