Folkestone's Red Watch called to a flat in Victoria Grove, after a fire broke out in his tumble dryer.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service engine
A shift worker from Folkestone had a lucky escape this morning, after a passer-by noticed a fire in his flat.
Two appliances from Folkestone's Red Watch were called to the flat in Victoria Grove at around 10.10am, after the good samaritan noticed smoke in the upper floor of two storey flat.
The 23-year-old occupant of the flat had gone to bed after a night shift, and was in bed totally unaware when the blaze broke out in his tumble dryer.
Firefighters from red watch worked for around one hour, using a hose reel and breathing apparatus, to bring the fire under control.
Watch manager Andy Batchelor is reminding people of the importance of fire alarms, which were not fitted at this property.
He said: "We'd like to stress the importance of having smoke alarms fitted.
"The flat was heavily smoke logged when we arrived, and this man was incredibly lucky that someone noticed and took the time to call us."
"Just three breaths of smoke can be fatal, which is why it is vital to have a working smoke alarm."
For further advice on fire safety, visit www.3breaths.info or call 0800 9237000.
- Click here for more Ashford news
- Click here for more news from across the county