Folkestone Invicta boss Neil Cugley reveals he tried to sign ex-Maidstone United striker Ian Draycott before he joined Leatherhead
Folkestone boss Neil Cugley tried to sign Ian Draycott before the former Maidstone striker joined Leatherhead last week.
Draycott was released by the Stones to make way for Zac Attwood and Cugley had hoped to bring him to the Gallagher Stadium.
With teenage frontman Johan Ter Horst ruled out until October with a fractured cheekbone, Draycott would have been a timely addition to the Invicta squad but he chose instead to accept Leatherhead’s offer.
Cugley said: “It’s been difficult going after players because of where we are, geographically and financially. We were interested in Draycott before he went to Leatherhead but we haven’t got the money to make it work.
“It makes it hard because we’re not offering players lots to come here. It’s going well off the pitch and if that gets better, we’ll have more revenue to maybe get players.”
Ter Horst sustained his injury when he collided with the Molesey goalkeeper during a 3-3 draw in the FA Cup preliminary round on August 31. Folkestone won the tie after a replay and that set up Saturday’s meeting with Eastbourne United in the first qualifying round.
Eastbourne play two divisions below Folkestone in Sussex League, Division 2, but Cugley said: “We don’t want to underestimate them. They’re trying to get out of their league and their confidence must be high.”
- Click here for more Ashford news
- Click here for more news from across the county