Whitstable family put out fire after waking to kitchen blaze
A Whitstable family put out a fire in their home after they woke up to find a blaze had broken out in their kitchen.
Firefighters attended an address in St Andrews Close at 10am today after the family's smoke alarm was triggered.
Sleeping upstairs they awoke to find the blaze which started because of a fault in the water heater.
One man was treated for smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment.
Watch Manager Richard Judge says the incident shows how alarms can save people's lives.
He said: "The occupants were asleep when the fire broke out and it was only by the smoke alarm sounding that they became aware of what was happening in their home.
"Thankfully this early warning gave them sufficient time to put out the fire themselves before it became fully developed.
"As this incident shows fitting and maintaining working smoke alarms on every floor of your property is essential.
"I would also like to remind people to only tackle a fire if you feel confident that by doing so you will not put yourself or others in danger.
"It is far safer to get out of your home and call the fire service."
For saftey advice call Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000 or visit www.3breaths.info.
- Click here for more Canterbury news
- Click here for more news from across the county