Lightning hits house and homes left without power as storm strikes in Herne Bay
A lightning storm caused plug socket explosions, electrical failures and damage to rooftops across Herne Bay last night.
One family was given the fright of their lives after a bolt hit their home and others have been left struggling for power.
Tradesmen Tony Allard and Lee Hollingsbee, both 27, of Barnes Way, were watching the storm roll in and jumped into action after lightning struck a neighbouring house.
Lightning over the skies of Herne Bay. Picture: Matthew Austin
Mr Allard said: “The storm was on us before we knew it. Then we heard a loud thunderous crack and thought our mate’s caravan had been hit.
“But then we saw a house behind us had been struck and a section of the roof was missing and all the lights were out.
“We could smell burning so expected the worse. We thought the house was on fire.
Damage to roof after lightning hit house
“We went over there and the family was in shock. One of the two kids was really upset.
“We went up in the loft and stuffed a tarpaulin in the hole to stop the rain coming in. It was bucketing down and we were soaked through.
“It was amazing the damage it had done. We were just glad we could help.”
Tony Powell with damaged TV amplifier
Essie Nassirzadeh, who lives in the house, added: “There was an explosion in the loft upstairs and the lighting was destroyed. Roof tiles were spread outside everywhere.”
Meanwhile, in Linden Avenue eight homes have been left without internet, television and telephone access after lightning hit a telephone power line.
Anne Powell, 72, said: “I was watching television when there was a great big crash and flash of lightning.
Bolt of lightning over homes in Herne Bay. Picture: Paul Darby
“There was a big bang and the lights went out, the speakers came out the back of the television, the plugs blew up and little bits of plastic were on fire on the floor.
“I’m still a bit shaky now.”
Her husband Tony, 70, had to call the fire brigade after a small fire broke out in the loft.
Plug sockets exploded during the storm
He said: “I was sitting upstairs on my computer, thinking to myself that the storm was getting a bit close, then bang!
“I called the fire brigade because a pipe had burst. The television amplifier has been fried and we’ve lost power for the two televisions, telephone and broadband.”
Send us your storm pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here for more Canterbury news
- Click here for more news from across the county