Flat blaze in Wincheap, Canterbury, caused by tumble dryer which burst into flames
Two fire crews were called to the scene
A smoke alarm almost certainly saved the life of a woman when it woke her at 4am this morning after her tumble dryer caught light.
It happened in Wincheap, Canterbury, and she called 999 and fled the ground floor flat in her night clothes.
When firefighters arrived the dryer had burst into flames and the kitchen and and rest of the property was filled with smoke.
Canterbury crew manager Steve Davies said: "There is no doubt her smoke alarm was a life saver because she could have been fast asleep with the flat full of smoke.
"She got out just in time because just before we arrived the dryer burst into flames and the kitchen was quite badly damaged and flat smoke-logged.
"We urge everyone to have a smoke alarm fitted and make sure there are good batteries in it."
- Click here for more Canterbury news
- Click here for more news from across the county