Good neighbour prevents frying pan fire
A good neighbour prevented a potentially serious
fire last night after hearing a smoke alarm set off by a frying pan
left on a hot hob.
Fire crews were called to a third floor flat in Victoria Park,
Dover, at 10.13pm.
The neighbour heard the smoke alarm beeping from the flat below,
banged on the door and woke one of the occupants.
It is believed his flatmate left the pan on the electric
hob, forgetting to turn the heat off before going out.
Dover Watch Manager, Andy Hollands, said: “When we arrived just
minutes later, the flat was already full of smoke.
“The neighbour had banged on the door, managing to wake one of
the flat’s occupants, who immediately switched off the cooker and
removed the frying pan from the heat, immersing it in water.”
Crews checked to make sure the fire was completely out before
ventilating the flat, which was severely smoke damaged.
Mr Hollands added: “This incident highlights the importance of
taking extra care in the kitchen and having working smoke alarms on
every floor of your home.
"Without them and the neighbour’s actions, the fire could have
burnt undetected for longer, putting the resident and the property
at further risk.”
- Click here for more news from across the county...