Vacuum cleaner sparks unlikely fire in Greenhithe kitchen
An unlikely series of
events led to a blaze that destroyed half a kitchen.
A vacuum cleaner toppled over in a
kitchen at a home in Eagles Road, Greenhithe.
It fell onto the switch of an
electric oven - which turned on and began heating up.
The homeowners, who were out at the
time, returned to find their house filled with smoke, at just
before 3.30pm yesterday.
Two fire crews quickly got the
flames under control before cutting away parts of the kitchen
cupboards to check if the fire had spread.
Dartford fire station watch manager
Dave Boakes said: "The fire had been smouldering for some time
before we were alerted. The heat had cracked window panes and
melted the cupboard fronts. The whole property was filled with
thick black smoke.
"This highlights how easily a fire can
break out. My advice to residents is to ensure cookers and other
appliances are always switched off after use and never store items
around ovens and hobs.
"It is essential that you have working
smoke alarms fitted in your home as they provide an early warning
The fire also caused heavy smoke
damage throughout the house.
- Click here for more news from across the county...