Elderly woman and grandson injured in blaze
An elderly woman and her
grandson have been taken to hospital with burns after they tried to
put out a fire at a house in Tonbridge.
It is thought the blaze was
started in the lounge of the property on Barden Road by several tea
lights which had been lit for celebrations marking the Nepalese New
The grandmother discovered the
blaze and burned her hands as she tried to bring it under
Her teenage son suffered burns
to his back when tried to put out the fire with a bowl of water,
causing the flames to flare up.
They were both taken to hospital
although it's not thought the burns are serious.
Watch Manager Derek Patey said:
"This incident highlights several important safety messages, the
first being about the risks of trying to tackle a fire yourself, as
this can result in injury.
"The best advice on discovering
a fire in your home is to get out, stay out and call the fire
"Secondly, I would advise all
residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on each
floor of their home and to test them weekly to ensure they will
provide early warning should a fire break out."
He added: "In addition, I would
advise people to take care when using candles, especially during
times of celebration when it is easy to get distracted, and to
never leave them unattended."
- Click here for more news from across the county...