County show back on after 2012 washout
Last year's county show
was a wash-out
by Andy Gray
The show will go on...
Despite fears this year’s event might have been the last, it’s
been confirmed the 84th Kent County Show will go ahead as planned
It follows a disastrous 2012 for the Detling-based showpiece as
torrential downpours rendered public car parks unusable for all
three days of the event, forcing organisers to close the gates to
visitors for the first time in its long history.
The monsoon conditions during the wettest UK summer since
records began meant attendances were down 17,000 on the previous
It led to concerns many of the agricultural show’s leading
stallholders and traders would pull-out of the event which normally
attracts 80,000 visitors.
The flood-based fiasco cost the show’s organisers an estimated
£300,000, but this week it was revealed the show will be back in
style next July.
Cones at the closed Kent
George Jessel, the show’s chairman, said: “We are determined
that the annual Kent County Show should continue to showcase the
best in agriculture and rural life.
“After the wet weather in July 2012 plans are well underway to
ensure car parking is improved with attention given to pinch points
across the site.”
Earlier this year, event bosses said people who booked tickets
for this summer’s event, but didn’t make it to the show, would be
offered equivalent tickets for next year’s show which runs from
Friday, July 12 to Sunday, July 14.
The Gallagher Group, Geerings and Four Jays are among sponsors
signed up for the farming and livestock extravaganza, which in 2013
is due to include racing camels, Sheridan the robotic sheep dog,
equestrian events and horticultural displays.
Mr Jessel said: “The society is pulling out all the stops in its
preparations to ensure the show is as entertaining and welcoming as
For further information on sponsorship opportunities or trade
stands, contact Kate Excell or Lucy Hegarty on 01622 630975 or
- Click here for more news from across the county...