Kent bowler Mark Davies admits to frustration after being left out of the side but is keen to stay with the club and win place back
Kent’s player-of-the-year Mark Davies has spoken of his frustration at finding himself out of the side but wants to stay with the club and earn his place back next season.
The 32-year-old paceman took two wickets in Kent’s YB40 loss to Notts on Monday but it was just his fifth first team appearance spread across all three competitions since June.
He admitted: “Things have been frustrating for me being in and out of the team but it was nice to get a game, especially on Sky and against Notts who are a top team.”
He added: “I want to keep knocking on the door and reminding the club that I am here and looking to play as much cricket as I can.
“It was a good opportunity and I tried to grab it with both hands.”
Davies claims he's unclear why he had been sidelined this summer after making a big impact in his first season after making the switch from Durham.
He said: “It’s frustrating. I had a bit of a niggle in my shoulder but that only kept me out for a week.
“It’s like any sport really, you get picked or you don’t and I’ve not been picked for the past six weeks really. It’s frustrating.
“It’s always hard when you’re in and out of the team, all you can do is keep working to improve each day and look to get back in and impress. Hopefully, Monday has helped that.”
Davies said he hoped Kent fans had not seen his last appearance of the season and added: “There are still four championship games and I’m knocking on Jimmy Adams’ (coach) door every day. It’s all I can do.
“We had a chat. He said he wanted me to go away and get some overs in. I did that, played for the 2nds and got four wickets for 26.
“I can’t really do much more than that. All I can do is keep staking my case and hopefully he picks me eventually and we move on from there.”
He added: “There are four games to play and then I guess it’s hard work in the winter again getting fit to come back here looking to get in the team again.
“I’m contracted to Kent next year and I am looking forward to next season but my focus now is on the next four games.”
- Click here for more news from across the county