Darren Stevens facing decision on charge of failing to report a corrupt approach while playing in Bangladesh Premier League
Darren Stevens. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Kent Cricket Club expect a decision about the future of Darren Stevens next week.
The 37-year old all-rounder arrived home last week after facing a tribunal in Bangladesh.
He denied a charge of failing to report a corrupt approach, while playing for the 2013 champions Dhaka Gladiators in the Bangladesh Premier League
The three-man commission have concluded their investigations into Stevens and nine other accused, charged by the International Cricket Council’s Anti-Corruption Unit. He could face a ban of between one and five years if found guilty.
"They are now reviewing all the evidence before reaching a conclusion.” - Jamie Clifford
Chief executive Jamie Clifford said: “I have talked with Darren in detail about the tribunal but there is no indication of a likely outcome. They are now reviewing all the evidence before reaching a conclusion.”
Meanwhile, Mr Clifford says the heavy rain over the past couple of months will not affect Kent’s preparations for the new season at the Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence.
He said: “Protective sheets and the covers have been on the ground and the net areas and square are drying out. We also benefit from decent drainage.
“The squad return for pre-season training on Monday, March 17, later than usual to allow the players who are overseas to get maximum game-time.”
New seamer Matt Hunn has recovered from a side strain which saw his winter stint in Australia end prematurely before Christmas, while long-term absentee Ashley Shaw will also report back for pre-season training after wintering Down Under.
- Click here for more news from across the county