Published: 00:00, 22 August 2014
| Updated: 08:54, 22 August 2014
A beauty mirror almost set fire to an elderly couples’ home last week.
Terry and Ann Culham, of West Park Road in Maidstone, smelt smoke coming from their bedroom and found a smouldering two-inch hole in their window frame on Monday, August 19.
With no obvious source of ignition, firefighters examined the scene and concluded that a small mirror placed on a dressing fire had caused it by reflecting the sun.
Mr Culham, whose wife is wheel-chair bound, said: “I dread to think what might have happened if we had been out or not noticed it – people need to be aware that this sort of thing can happen.”
Andy Corby, a firefighter who examined the scene, said: “The sunlight appears to have reflected off the mirror and caused a burn, two-inches in diameter, on the timber frame.Luckily, the fire was discovered early and had not yet developed enough to spread to the curtains of other items near the window.”
To avoid an incident like this happening to you Kent Fire and Rescue Service has released some guidance.
Objects such as magnifying glasses, mirrors, spectacles and glass ornaments should be kept away from windows, particularly if it is south facing, or at least be covered when not in use.
The sun is particularly low in autumn and winter which increases the risk.
They also recommend closing internal doors and avoid placing combustible objects in close range to window and test your smoke alarm every week.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.