Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Maidstone: Fire starts in shower unit in Poplar Grove

By Claire McWethy

A family had to evacuate their home after a fire started accidentally in an electric shower unit.

Crews were called at 9.50am to Poplar Grove in Maidstone, where black smoke was billowing out of the bathroom window.

The woman who lived there called 999, before leaving with her three grown up children and grandchild.

Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock image

Firefighters were called to the scene. Stock image

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the blaze, which had melted the plastic fittings holding the shower unit to the wall, allowing it to fall into the bath and continue burning, leaving a big hole in the bath. 
 
After clearing smoke and fumes with a special fan, crews used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots and spent about 20 minutes making sure the scene was safe.
 
They also replaced smoke alarms and gave the family fire safety advice.
 
Crews had left by 10.30am.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More