Published: 00:00, 28 June 2014 |
Updated: 16:28, 28 June 2014
A family of five had to flee their home in the middle of the night after their dishwasher caught fire.
Three children and two adults living in a two storey house in Ranters Lane, Goudhurst, were alerted by their fire alarm at 12.35am today.
The family managed to escape safely, with their two dogs, and called 999.
There are no reports of any injuries but the dishwasher was destroyed and some of the kitchen units were damaged.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service sent two fire engines to the scene, with crews dispatched from Cranbrook and Tunbridge Wells.
Cranbrook watch manager Andy Parks said: “This family did all the right things, they had working smoke alarms in their home, which gave them the valuable time needed to escape.
“They closed the doors on the fire as they left their home, which limited the fire spread and damage to their kitchen and they phoned the fire service to deal with the blaze, rather than attempting to tackle it themselves.”
Once the fire was out crews used a special fan to clear the smoke and fumes from the property and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.
They also provided fire safety advice to the family before leaving the scene at around 2am.
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.