Clear spells


19°C | 6°C

Clear spells


12°C | 3°C

Broken cloud


12°C | 7°C

Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Fire caused by candle in Grigg Lane, Headcorn

20 December 2013
by Claire McWethy

Firefighters rushed to a Headcorn home yesterday after unattended candles started a fire. 

The blaze started in a house in Grigg Lane at 5pm after candles that had been left burning unattended in a lounge caught surrounding furnishings alight.

The fire was extinguished with hoses and smoke was removed with a ventilation fan.

Maidstone Watch Manager, Howard Dellow, attended the incident.

He said: “The occupier was using candles to light her living room and unfortunately one had fallen onto soft furnishings while she was upstairs.

"Thankfully the smoke alarm alerted her to what was going on and she was able to get out of her home safely before our arrival.

“Candles and tea lights are often used as decorations this time of year but it’s important to remember they should be held securely in containers and extinguished before you leave the room.

“I would also encourage everyone to fit and maintain a smoke alarm on every floor of your home to help keep your friends and family safe from fire this Christmas."

For more safety advice call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to

Click here for more news from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Login or register to post commentsPost Comment

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.