Published: 00:01, 04 September 2017
A pensioner discharged himself from hospital after claiming to have choked on a piece of plastic in his hospital meal.
James Button had been admitted to Maidstone Hospital after becoming dizzy at the College Practice during a check-up on an existing heart condition.
The 84-year-old was being visited by family at the hospital on Saturday, August 19 when he was served lunch.
He said a piece of plastic in his chilli con carne then became lodged at the back of his throat.
He said: “I had gone to Maidstone Hospital because I have a condition where one of the valves on my heart closes and I struggle to breathe sometimes.
“My daughter came to see me on Saturday and, while I was eating my dinner, I found a great big lump of plastic in my food.
“I spoke to one of the nurses about it and she said she would get a doctor to see me the next day but they never came.”
Following a meeting with senior hospital staff Mr Button received a letter of apology.
Mr Button was told by another nurse on the Urgent Medical Ambulatory Care Unit he would be seen on Monday but again nobody showed up to see him.
He added: “I have been a bit naughty and I dismissed myself from the hospital.
“I was so annoyed about it. They just left me.
“They gave me chilli con carne and I was coughing. I was lucky to get it out of my throat.”
A Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust spokesperson said: “Mr Button unfortunately found a small piece of plastic in his vegetables when he was a patient in Maidstone Hospital.
“At the time, our catering manager apologised to Mr Button in person and immediately replaced his meal. We have spoken subsequently to Mr Button and resolved his concerns.
“We would also like to thank Mr Button for the chocolates he kindly sent in for our nursing staff, they were much appreciated.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.