Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Pensioner James Button walks out after choking on Maidstone Hospital meal

James Button had been admitted to Maidstone Hospital after becoming dizzy at the College Practice during a check-up on an existing heart condition.

The 84-year-old was being visited by family at the hospital on Saturday, August 19 when he was served lunch.

James Button claims he choked on a piece of plastic in a Maidstone Hospital meal

James Button claims he choked on a piece of plastic in a Maidstone Hospital meal

He said a piece of plastic in his chilli con carne then became lodged at the back of his throat.

He said: “I had gone to Maidstone Hospital because I have a condition where one of the valves on my heart closes and I struggle to breathe sometimes.

“My daughter came to see me on Saturday and, while I was eating my dinner, I found a great big lump of plastic in my food.

“I spoke to one of the nurses about it and she said she would get a doctor to see me the next day but they never came.”

Following a meeting with senior hospital staff Mr Button received a letter of apology.

Mr Button was told by another nurse on the Urgent Medical Ambulatory Care Unit he would be seen on Monday but again nobody showed up to see him.

Mr Button choked on a bowl of chilli. Stock image

Mr Button choked on a bowl of chilli. Stock image

He added: “I have been a bit naughty and I dismissed myself from the hospital.

“I was so annoyed about it. They just left me.

“They gave me chilli con carne and I was coughing. I was lucky to get it out of my throat.”

A Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust spokesperson said: “Mr Button unfortunately found a small piece of plastic in his vegetables when he was a patient in Maidstone Hospital.

“At the time, our catering manager apologised to Mr Button in person and immediately replaced his meal. We have spoken subsequently to Mr Button and resolved his concerns.

“We would also like to thank Mr Button for the chocolates he kindly sent in for our nursing staff, they were much appreciated.”

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More