Share

Mostly clear

Tue

26°C | 15°C

Clear spells

Wed

24°C | 14°C

Clear spells

Thu

25°C | 13°C

Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Mum Julie Swift's horror after iPhone charge explodes next to her as she slept in her Bearsted home

10 May 2014
by Angela Cole

Julie Swift, who lives in Bearsted, was sleeping with her iPhone charging next to her bed when the incident happened around midnight.

She had bought the device over the internet, although it was not one officially made by Apple.

The charred remains after the phone charger exploded

The charred remains after the phone charger exploded

She said: “It exploded next to my bed. The whole thing blew up – there was a big, loud bang and a big flash. It was really scary.”

She added: “My 12-year-old daughter uses that charger and she could have been using it last night and I don’t want to think what might have happened.

"I want to warn other people what these chargers off the internet can do.”

The incident follows a spate of recent fires in the county caused by electronic equipment.

A family in Stockbury had a lucky escape when a remote control car on charge exploded, triggering a fire by 14-year-old Harry Carfrae’s bed. Harry and his
family needed treatment for smoke inhalation at Medway Maritime Hospital.

Julie Swift with her dodgy phone charger

Julie Swift with her dodgy phone charger

Earlier in April, Holly Hewett was asleep in her flat, near Sittingbourne, when her mobile phone started making a “sizzling sound” and almost caught fire while it was charging.

She managed to grab it and throw it into the sink.

Kent County Council trading standards manager Richard Strawson said: “There are always potential risks in buying cheap mobile phone chargers which may be fake, unreliable and dangerous.

"They can have faults with the electrical wiring and other components resulting in overheating and the risk of fire.

 Harry Carfrae and his mum Claire Butler in his burnt out bedroom

Harry Carfrae and his mum Claire Butler in his burnt out bedroom

“At first glance, it is not obvious that these chargers are
dangerous and if left plugged in and unattended can prove lethal.

“We would encourage Mrs Swift to contact us so we can have full details of this particular incident.”

Click here for more news from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.