Share

Sunny spells

Tue

20°C | 13°C

Sunny spells

Wed

22°C | 12°C

Mostly sunny

Thu

23°C | 13°C

Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Firefighters say a fire in a garage in Bearsted may have been caused by a combination of the sun and a magnifying glass

14 February 2014

Firefighters were in attendance

A fire engine

 

There may not have been a lot of sun around recently, but the sun's rays have been blamed for starting a fire in Bearsted yesterday (Thursday).

Fire crews were called to Mount Lane at just after 2pm after neighbours saw smoke coming from a garage.

Inside, they found a magnifying glass inside had focussed the rays onto a hand towel, which had then caught light.

Maidstone watch manager, Howard Dellow, said: “The garage was being used as an improvised art studio and sunrays focused onto the towel from a hands-free magnifying glass caused it to catch alight.

“Thankfully we were called before the fire was able to spread, possibly causing extensive damage to the garage and adjacent bungalows.
 
“Although sunshine has been in short supply this winter, the low-lying sun can be magnified onto flammable items in your home, so be careful when positioning a magnifying glass, mirror, or any other glass object capable of focusing the suns rays.”
 
 

Click here for more news from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.