Share

Mostly sunny

Fri

25°C | 16°C

Light showers

Sat

26°C | 15°C

Moderate showers

Sun

24°C | 13°C

Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Firefighters called to Tattlebury Lane, Headcorn after laundry catches alight

27 February 2014
by Claire McWethy

A wicker laundry basket led to a kitchen fire in Headcorn on Wednesday evening.

Two fire engines from Maidstone were called to Tattlebury Lane at 5.15pm.

The basket is thought to have been left on a hob, which was accidentally turned on, and caught alight.

The resident was able to pour water on the basket before the fire was able to spread.

Firefighters spent 20 minutes putting out the blaze. Only the hob was damaged.

It is thought a smoke detector alerted the resident to the fire.

Community Safety Manager Charlie Smith said: “Fortunately no one was seriously injured in this incidents and there was minimal damage to property, however it demonstrates how fire can breakout when you least expect it.

“For this reason, we are urging residents to take extra care in the kitchen and not store flammable items either on the hob or within the oven itself.

"It is also vital to make sure you fit smoke alarms on each floor of your home and test them regularly, so that they can give you early warning to a fire.”

 

Click here for more news from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Comments 

Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.