Mostly sunny


26°C | 12°C



22°C | 12°C



23°C | 13°C

Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

AFC Hornchurch 1 Maidstone United 0 match report

22 March 2014
by Craig Tucker

Michael Phillips Picture Martin Apps

Michael Phillips Picture: Martin Apps

Maidstone United had Alex Flisher and Michael Phillips sent off as they suffered their sixth away defeat in a row at Hornchurch on Saturday afternoon.

Flisher was dismissed midway through the second half for a rash challenge on Michael Spencer.

Phillips followed in bizarre circumstances when he was shown a second yellow card for taking a quick free-kick, having been told to wait for the whistle.

Stones were already trailing to a first-half goal from former Gillingham striker Stefan Payne and left the Hornchurch Stadium fuming with referee Adam Crysell, who also turned down a stonewall penalty for a foul on Jack Harris shortly before Flisher's red card.

Hornchurch made the early running and it took sharp reflexes from Lee Worgan to keep out Payne's near-post header from a Rickie Hayles cross.

Flisher had an effort blocked after a decent move launched by Alex Brown, then Rory Hill's header from a Phillips free-kick deflected wide.

Hornchurch went in front on 25 minutes with Payne going through to beat Worgan after appeals for a foul on Harris on halfway were rejected.

Stones found the going tough against a big Urchins side who went close to a second when Tambeson Eyong found space for a fierce low drive that went inches wide.

Somehow Maidstone went in only one goal down at the break after injury-time drama that saw Jack Sullivan make a goal-saving tackle to deny George Purcell, with Dave Rainford seeing three chances blocked in the six-yard box from the corner.

Payne missed a decent chance when played in by Purcell early in the second half before Stones worked Inico Echepare for the first time through Hill at the near post.

Flisher sent a free header over from Phillips' corner and seconds later United were screaming for a penalty when Harris was taken out following Hill's cross.

They surrounded referee Adam Crysell, who booked Hill for his protests.

Flisher was dismissed on 62 minutes, with Phillips following 10 minutes later.

The nine men dug in and spent a fair bit of time in the Hornchurch half but were vulnerable on the break.

They would have had a third player sent off had Purcell had his way after a challenge by last man Mills but Crysell ruled there was no foul.

Maidstone: Worgan, Sullivan, Mills, Andrews (D Parkinson 39mins), Sobers, Phillips, Hill (Robertson 79mins), Brown, Attwood (Collin 85mins), Harris, Flisher. Subs not used: Hughes-Mason, Godmon.

Attendance: 485

Click here for more sport from Maidstone.

Click here for more news from around the county.