Published: 00:00, 13 April 2014 |
Updated: 15:48, 13 April 2014
A blocked chimney sparked a fire at a popular pub.
Staff at the Five Pointed Star, in West Malling, dialed 999 today after their chimney caught alight.
Two crews from Kent Fire and Rescue Service arrived at the High Street business shortly after 10.50am.
They spent just under an hour tackling the blaze, which is believed to have been caused by a build-up of particles from the last time the fireplace was used.
No injures were reported and the pub opened as usual.
Manager Bridgett Lindsey said: "It was a bit chilly this morning so we thought we'd light the fire but we accidentally set alight to our chimney. Everything is fine now, though.
"The firefighters were fantastic. I can't praise them enough. They put sheets down and just got it sorted for us.
"I'm not sure what happened as we only recently had a new liner put in the chimney but the main thing is no one was hurt and we're open as normal."
The team left the scene at 11.40am.
Don't miss out, subscribe today. Keep up to date with our newsletters.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Find out what's going on in the garden, with Kent expert Lucy Hewett's weekly update.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.