Published: 09:45, 23 November 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
A faulty appliance probably caused a motor cruiser moored on the River Medway to go up in flames.
The boat, thought to be worth about £100,000, had been left severely damaged by the fire, which started shortly before 11am yesterday (Thursday).
Firefighters from Strood fire station were called out to Strood Yacht Club, after a member spotted smoke coming from the vessel.
Three fire engines, along with a Kent Fire and Rescue boat, were sent to the scene and firefighters wore breathing apparatus to get on to the boat and put the flames out.
It was quickly established that no one was onboard as crews used thermal imaging camera to detect if anyone was inside.
The cruiser was moored alongside a pontoon at the club, in Temple Manor Marsh, Knight Road, and firefighters used a portable water pump to get water out of the River Medway to fight the flames.
A spokesman for the crews said: “We managed to stop the flames spreading to other boats and members helped out by moving other boats which were nearby.
“It has suffered a lot of damage to the inside of the vessel, the soft furnishings and such like, but the structure of it is OK.
“We think it may have been caused by a faulty dehumidifier which was on board which had overheated.”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.