Your location is set to Dartford
Published: 08:47, 28 March 2012 |
Updated: 09:43, 10 January 2014
Smoke could be seen a mile away after a gardener made a bonfire too close to his shed.
The 8ft by 8ft shed was engulfed by fire last night behind a terraced house in Elm Road, Gillingham.
Two crews from Medway Fire Station pulled a hosereel for 50 yards across back gardens after the shed's owner raised the alarm at 7.30pm.
He had made a bonfire a few feet from a wooden shed containing two propane cylinders, probably used for barbecues.
Firefighters removed one cylinder and managed to isolate the other so neither exploded.
They put out the fire within an hour but the shed was completely destroyed.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We would like to remind people not to have bonfires near their sheds.
"A bonfire may seem safe but flames can 'jump', especially in the dry weather we've been having."
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.
A guide for your future. For year 11 students in Kent and Medway. Click here for the e-edition.
Education, Training & Childcare is a special supplement published by KM Media Group four times a year. Click here for latest e-edition.
This is a brand new online resource covering every aspect of owning and improving a home in Kent and Medway.
Get the latest food and drink news, recipes from some of the nation's top chefs plus updates from Kent's vineyards and breweries.
Search in your local area to find your perfect partner in Kent, with FreshStart Dating! PLUS, register for free!.
Neil Miller, Hever Castle head gardener is new gardening blogger.
Buy pictures that you've seen in a KM newspaper, or send in a picture and we will place it on our photo sales website so that you can purchase a super, unique gift.