The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
7°C | -5°C
4°C | -4°C
7°C | -3°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Medway News Article
Marc Fuller was an alcoholic and had been admitted to Medway Maritime Hospital for treatment in a critical care unit in December last year.
Younger sister Sarah Bennett said that when he was moved to Keats ward, his family were hopeful his condition was improving.
But father-of-one Mr Fuller was only on the ward for one day when he passed away.
Ms Bennett, 26, of Corkwell Street, Chatham, said she wanted to know why the treatment he was receiving in the critical care unit had not been continued.
She said he had been given a scan but the family was not made aware of the findings.
She added: “He was just moved, no one told us why that was. That was on December 21, and the treatments he was being given just seemed to be taken away.”
During the early hours of the next morning Ms Bennett got a call to say she should make her way to the hospital as Mr Fuller had taken a turn for the worse.
She added: “Just 10 minutes later I got a call to say he had passed away. He was on his own, there was none of his family there.
“We just didn’t know how ill he was.
After getting her brother’s death certificate – with the causes of death including cirrhosis and steatosis of the liver – Ms Bennett contacted the hospital in the hope she could get some answers.
She added: “I did that in mid-January and I was told the hospital would get his medical records and paperwork together and when that had been completed they would arrange a meeting with his doctor.”
She made similar calls in February and March.
“We are now in April and I still have no idea when I can meet his doctor,” she added.
Ms Bennett said her brother had lived in the Medway Towns all his life and was his grandmother’s carer.
“Marc was a happy-go-lucky man and his son, Harvey, who is now six, was his pride and joy,” she added.
Medway hospital was placed in special measures last year after the Keogh review into high death rates revealed failings, although there is no suggestion of fault in Mr Fuller’s case at this stage.
A spokesman for Medway NHS Foundation Trust, which manages the hospital, said: “We extend our deepest sympathies to Mr Fuller’s family.
“It’s important to ensure that when we meet with Mr Fuller’s family we have all the necessary information available to answer the range of question they will inevitably have.
“We are still awaiting post-mortem results and it’s not unusual for results to take some months.
“We are sorry it has taken this long and do understand the need to want answers.”
Click here for more news from Medway.
Click here for more news from around the county.