The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
12°C | 8°C
13°C | 7°C
11°C | 5°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Medway News Article
The driver of a bus which crashed into a railway bridge with 60 school children on board is to face disciplinary action.
Children and teachers from Hilltop Primary School in Strood were on their way back from a school trip when the double decker hit a bridge in the town.
The collision happened in Gun Lane, Strood, at about 3pm on Monday afternoon, near to the junction with Edward Street and involved a private hire vehicle belonging to the firm Red Route.
Linda Allen's 10-year-old grandson was on the bus. She said: "The ones upstairs were very frightened. They were coming back from a long week end school trip."
Transport manager Stephen Francis-Weatherall said: “Redroute Buses are pleased that no injuries were sustained by any passengers on the bus following the incident yesterday – all passengers were able to disembark and continue their journey back to the school.
“The vehicle tracking system has been checked and confirms the vehicle was only doing 4mph.
“The bus has been recovered to our depot and is being examined by engineers.
“The driver was questioned at the scene and will be disciplined in accordance with company procedures."
A spokesman for Kent Police said no arrests had been made.
Click here for more news from Medway.
Click here for more news from around the county.