The UK's fastest-growing regional news network
14°C | 11°C
14°C | 12°C
13°C | 5°C
See the full forecast for your area.
Sponsored by Britelite.
Home Medway News Article
More people were caught drink-driving in Medway over Christmas than any other area of Kent.
A total of 26 motorists were arrested on suspicion of drink/drug driving between December 1 and January 1, it has been revealed.
Steve Horton, Kent County Council road safety team leader, said: “It amazes me that so many drivers still choose to leave it to chance and risk everything - their licence, independence, livelihood and other people’s safety.
“No driver of any age can say they do not know the anti-drink drive message. It’s been around for years. It must just be arrogance, ignorance or a total lack of concern for safety that leads them to drink and drive.”
Throughout Kent, 183 motorists were arrested out of the 334 people who were breathalised. Of those tested, 156 gave positive results for drink driving.
This is a drop compared to last year, which saw 210 motorists arrested.
"It quite clearly shows that the message is resonating with the public.”
Sarah Martin, spokesperson for Brake, the road safety charity said: “A decrease is certainly a step in the right direction. Drink driving remains one of the biggest killers on our roads, needlessly tearing apart families.
“Even small amounts of alcohol affects the way you drive, so it’s essential not to drink a drop and drive”
Roads policing traffic sergeant, Hannah Brown said: “Whilst the figures are encouraging, there are still too many people who are ignoring our safety messages and warnings over the festive season.
“Each one of those 156 people who gave a positive breath test result was putting themselves and others at risk of death of injury on our roads through being impaired by alcohol or drugs.
“It means we can’t afford to be, and won’t be, complacent. We will continue to target these offences throughout the year.”
Click here for more news from Medway.
Click here for more news from around the county.