Published: 07:45, 08 November 2017 |
A family including a young baby had a lucky escape after their kitchen went up in flames.
The chip pan had been left unattended and caught fire while all five occupants were upstairs.
Firefighters were called and within minutes were at the property in Cross Street, Strood.
Two fire engines were sent to the scene at 7.14pm yesterday.
Fortunately, the smoke alarm was working which alerted the family to the fire and allowed them to get out safely.
When fire crews arrived, the father had removed the burning pan to the garden using a damp cloth to beat the flames and stop the fire, which was spreading up the kitchen wall.
But firefighters have reminded people to leave tackling fires to the crews trained to do so.
A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "If there is a fire in your home, close the door if you can, leave the property and phone 999.
"Please do not try to tackle the fire yourself or remove items that are on fire, leave it to firefighters, who have the training and equipment to tackle fires safely.
"Leaving any cooking unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results, especially if you’re cooking with hot oil.
"It can overheat and ignite very quickly, even the smallest distraction could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Always stand by your pan and keep looking while your cooking."
From academic achievements to engineering accolades and new facilities, Kent College offers students an outstanding school life.
Enter this month’s competition and you could win a luxurious return crossing!Sponsored editorial
There's no uniform or bells and students and staff are on first name terms. School life at Rochester Independent College is unique.
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.