Moderate showers


19°C | 10°C

Light showers


18°C | 10°C

Sunny spells


20°C | 12°C

Home   Medway   News   Article

Aaden-James Mann suffers carbon monoxide poisoning from 'faulty' boiler, leaving family from Chatham without heating

19 February 2016
by Nicola Jordan

Engineers have disconnected Kirstein Mann’s gas boiler after six-year-old Aaden-James was taken to A&E with headaches, dizziness, lethargy and vomiting.

After being kept in overnight at Medway Maritime Hospital, blood tests revealed that he was suffering from the “toxic effect of carbon monoxide”, according to his discharge notes.

Kirstein Mann and her son Aaden-James Mann, 6

Kirstein Mann and her son Aaden-James Mann, 6

Mother-of-two Mrs Mann, 40, has been told by mhs homes, which owns her house in Holly Road, Strood, that her central heating boiler is not to blame and that there were no fumes coming from the appliance.

But the housing association's contractor Swale Heating, which carried out tests, rated emissions of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide “high” and a notice has been put on the boiler saying: “Warning Do Not Use Appliance”.

Mrs Mann became concerned after Aaden-James came into her bedroom early on Sunday, February 7, and was sick.

As the day wore on he became more nauseous and complained of being sleepy and dizzy.

Aaden-James was taken to hospital

Aaden-James was taken to hospital

She said: “By the afternoon, he was getting worse, so I phoned MedOCC (Medway On Call Care) and they told me to get him to hospital.”

After a blood test, he was admitted to a ward and after another sample it was decided that he needed to stay overnight.

She said: “He was very poorly. He’s normally a healthy boy.

“I should have put two and two together because weeks beforehand I had gone to the doctor because I was waking up with headaches and was dizzy throughout the day.”

"Since it has been turned off we have felt fine. I just wish for my own peace of mind they would replace it" - Kirstein Mann

Mrs Mann’s other son, Kane, 19, called an emergency gas helpline and the appliance was turned off for safety reasons.

Mrs Mann has lived at the house for three years and never had a problem with the appliance, but in recent weeks she noticed beeping coming from it.

An engineer discovered a faulty valve which did need repairing, but a spokesman for mhs homes said the boiler was relatively new, had an up-to-date gas safety certificate and did not need replacing.

The housing society has loaned her fan heaters, but she said in just 10 days she has notched up £85 on her energy bills.

She said: “Since it has been turned off we have felt fine.

“I just wish for my own peace of mind they would replace it.

“In the grand scale of things, it’s not much to ask.”

Steve Stratford, mhs investment manager, said: “The safety of our customers is our primary concern and we have been in contact with Mrs Mann regarding her inquiry.

The faulty boiler

The faulty boiler

“The boiler has been tested by an independent consultant, Gas Contract Services, on two occasions and there are no fumes leaking into the property.

“The boiler was shut down as a precautionary measure by Southern Gas Networks after Mrs Mann reported her concerns to them, which is standard procedure for a suspected leak of fumes.

“Swale Heating has made an appointment with Mrs Mann to carry out a routine repair related to emissions outside of the home, provide a new gas safety certificate and recommission the boiler.

“The boiler was installed in 2012 and does not need replacing.”

Click here for more news from Medway.

Click here for more news from around the county.

Sorry, comments are not enabled for this article.

Register or log in via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ or your KentOnline account to post comments.Post Comment

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned. Please click here for our house rules.


Forgotten Password?

Forgotten Username?

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments.
Please click here for our house rules.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email or call 01634 227989.